What are Halkidiki olives
Halkidiki Olives are large pale green Greek olives in oval shape and commonly harvested while it is still young. Usually processed through brine curing which has a firmer meat texture that can provide a full soft flavor with a little tartness and a bit peppery in taste. Often referred to as Chalkidiki, the Halkidiki Olives grows exclusively in Greece in the Halkidiki region which is adjacent to Mount Athos.
Chalkidiki or Halkidiki Olive got its name from the place where they are naturally found in an area in Greece regarded as Central Macedonia region which when translated means Halkidiki or Chalkidiki. This Greek olive is also called “donkey olive” because of its big size. Halkidiki Olives are excellent table olives with high quality and large enough to stuff with other food ingredients like dried tomatoes, blue cheese, almonds and other food ingredients and served as a hors d’oeuvre or appetizer snack food.
Two Halkidiki Olive Color Varieties:
- Green- The green Halkidiki olives are cured in salted brine and sometimes in oil.
- Black- The black Halkidiki olives are harvested in its adult stage which is about two months after the young green Halkidiki olives were harvested.
Halkidiki Olives Characteristics:
The Halkidiki Olives grows and cultivated in northern Greece on the Halkidiki Peninsula with its unique climate condition and soil characteristics make this olive developed a full, spicy and slightly bitter taste with a hint of fruity aroma without any hint of oiliness. Since it is harvested while it is still young this oval shape olive is fleshy (meaty) with small stone and developed a bright yellow green color which will change to yellow when it matures. With the perfect climate condition and nutrients rich soil this Greek olive is considered as the superior type among other table olives. The Halkidiki olives are harvested from mid -September to the end of October.
Health Benefits of Halkidiki Olives
The Halkidiki is a superb olive variety with many health benefits that you and I can take advantage of. Regardless of its high fat content this olive packed a good nutritional value and a good source of omega fatty acids, Vitamin E, iron, dietary fibers, copper, monounsaturated fats, polyphenols and flavonoids.
- Supports healthy heart. The Halkidiki Olives are a good source of monounsaturated fats that can reduce the risk of acquiring atherosclerosis and it can increase the good cholesterol in our blood. If you are suffering from hypertension this olive can help normalize blood pressure while increasing the good cholesterol. It is very good for the heart.
- Effective antioxidant. It contains Vitamin E that can fight against free radicals which can damage body cells. A good antioxidant can protect our skin from premature aging, protects from the harmful effects of too much sun exposure and could definitely keep us young looking for long.
- Has an effective anti-inflammatory effect. With the flavonoids and polyphenols content it can protect every cell in our body from developing some inflammation. Olives are great in preventing tumor development, arthritis, asthma, respiratory diseases and other ailments associated with swelling or inflammation.
- Can protect women from PMS. Women tend to be sluggish and moody during their period due to hormonal imbalances but olives are perfect to counter these symptoms.
- It can also help in preventing certain cancers like colon and prostate.
So it is best to include the Halkidiki olives in our usual diet to reap its wonderful health benefits that could keep us healthy and strong. In the Mediterranean diet, olive is an integral part and consuming it is a healthy way to eat delicious dishes. Eating healthy can really be satisfying and rewarding through Halkidiki olives. Serve a dish today with this olive and experience the best quality taste of the Greek famous olive product for sure you will find best olive recipes that you will truly love.